In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Sunday, January 8, 2012

Birthdays, Baptisms, and Tourism

First of all, let me say Happy Birthday to my great grandma! Love you! And to our godson, who turned six today!

Well another great day, and our time here in VA is coming to an end.

This morning came early, and we were at the church by 8am. We had rehearsal and then the service started. The baptism went great and all the kids were adorable. Our godson did great and was super cute. In their church they don't have access to a baptismal, so instead of dunking the kids they poured spoonfuls of water on their heads. After the first spoonful of water was poured on his head, some dribbled down his forehead and into his closed eye. He twitched and winced and tried oh so hard not to wiggle! It made me want to laugh; so cute! After the baptisms they had a service which was very interesting to me. Their services contain a lot of getting up and down, and a lot of pre-written responses to what is said, which for some reason I always thought was a negative thing. But its not, and I really enjoyed the service. The sermon was on justice, and was very challenging. Although never spoken, the verse that kept running through my head was Micah 6:8 "He [God] has shown you, o mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God" The sermon hit on "doing justice," just like the verse, and how we really need to enforce justice in our daily lives. It hit home and left me thinking.

After the service we came back to the house and had brunch with a bunch of other families who came over. Lots of laughs, shenanigans, tickling, and giggling later, a few of us went to the Museum of Natural History. It was very neat. We were pressed for time so we didn't look too closely at things, we had to be out by 5pm. After that we went to the Iwo Jima memorial for the marines who gave their lives in battle, the Vietnam Memorial wall, the Lincoln Memorial, and drove past Arlington Cemetary. All were really cool (and I got some great pictures). By then it was getting really cold and dark so we went home. There was dinner, gift opening and more playing, and then some dessert before some left and some were put to bed ;) All in all, it was a great day.

Tomorrow will be another adventure that I'll tell about at the airport maybe. It'll be an early start though, so I'm keeping this post short. Anyway, here are some pictures from the day. Enjoy :)


Museum of Natural History

Iwo Jima - Marines Memorial 

Vietnam Memorial wall

Lincoln Memorial

Arlington Cemetery


And this is an extra treat. The same little girl who "stole" my camera last night really really enjoyed her ice cream cake. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that she decided to lick her plate clean! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment