In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Skies

As I was sitting on the couch earlier this morning after my devotion, the eastern sky caught my attention. There were faint hints of a rosy pink color beginning to peak up through the trees and light rain. Within a few minutes, the piece of sky I could see outside the window had turned pink with hints of purple and blue. Caught up in the sight, my phone scared me as it started ringing. It was my husband on his way to work. "Look outside," he said, "first toward the east, then towards the beach (west)"  He had seen a dark grey color coming off the lake as the storm blew in, and then a totally different scene as he turned eastward to head to work. The sky he saw had been painted pink with some purple and blue as well. But it had also been infused with orange as the sun began to rise. "Its so cool," he said, "it made me think of you. The sun looks like a glowing ball, it would be worth hopping in your car and driving just to see it." So I hopped in my car and started driving eastward. I saw what he had described, and it was beautiful. The sky was painted just like he said, and the sun was a glowing ball fighting the clouds just to be seen. The most the clouds let me see was a sliver, but saying it glowed was an understatement. Soon, the pink, purple, blue, and orange dispersed and gave way to a light blue sky with faint purple streaks. Going as far through town as I could, I turned around and headed home.

As I neared our house I decided I'd drive through the beach. The sight there was beautiful too, and I parked my car to sit a minute and take it all in. The dark grey color on the horizon of the water warned of the storm that was blowing in. Waves jumped at the breakwall, and the green light in the lighthouse flashed to warn any boats it was there. The wind whipped the rain and trees in every direction, and ruffled the feathers of the gulls who were hunched up protecting themselves from the cold, and begging me for food. Soon, that sky too gave way to a blue streaked sky and the rain slowed its fall. I started my car and began the drive home. 

On my way home, I thought of both views I had just witnessed as multiple things crossed my mind. The main thoughts were that just as sunrise or a storm blowing through, our life is only a few minutes on this earth compared to eternity. Are you making yours worth living? 

No comments:

Post a Comment