In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Friday, February 10, 2012

The Spooks!

Last night was hectic. I got out of class, gave my mom and sister a ride home, did some stuff at the house, went to Lowe's with Caleb, went to Wal-Mart with Caleb, and then we retreated to the safety of our home. We had lots to do, I can't even imagine how much they got done before I got there, it must've been a crazy day before I got there =)

So, we got home, grabbed food and set to work. Caleb and I put up shower curtains and did some stuff to the bathrooms, and then we put some stuff away. He put up curtains in the bathroom and a long, gorgeous, deep red one in our room. He cleared off some counter space (it was covered in tools.. ha) and I put some stuff on the counters. By then, we were beat, so we decided to turn in for the night. So we started to get ready for bed, ..and Caleb discovered the hot water wasn't working when he tried to take a shower. He waited and waited for it to get warm but it wouldn't. Finally it got warm and he jumped in, only for it to go bitter cold five seconds later! Needless to say, he made some funny noises and took a very quick shower ;) Then we were off to bed. The bed warmer was on, we were tired, and it felt fantastic to sink into bed. We started to drift off and I heard a noise. I dismissed it as the clothes in the drier and tried to fall back asleep. I was almost asleep when I heard another noise - this one louder. Naturally, I was freaked out (I'm a big chicken when it comes to stuff like that), so I asked Caleb if he'd heard it too. He said he had, but it was probably just the old house settling. I had been trying to tell myself that the whole time, so I just repeated it in my mind and rolled over. He fell asleep and I lay there wide awake.. unable to fall asleep. I kept hearing that noise again and again; it was like someone was slapping something against the wall, or breaking a small piece of wood - it just didn't sound right. Then I thought I heard footsteps and something falling off the counter, and decided my mind was playing games with me. Still slightly creeped out, I ended up falling asleep sometime around 1am, only to wake up periodically through the night. Between being too hot, or just being unable to sleep, I didn't get much sleep at all. It was a relief when the alarm went off though.

We woke up and laid there a few minutes, until Caleb gasps (loud enough to startle me..) and says "I bet you I know why it wouldn't work!!" After figuring out that he meant the hot water, I asked him how he thought it worked. A while back, we had learned that our basement was wired funny, and each outlet was wired to the next, so in order for one to work, the whole line of them had to work. Well, Caleb wondered if the outlet that the hot water heater was connected to (?) was part of that cycle. If so, the basement lights would have to be on in order for our hot water to work. Weird, right? So, once he jumped out of bed, he turned the basement lights on and headed for the bathrrom. He then proceeded to have a nice warm shower =)

Haha.. oh the idiosyncrasies I'm going to have to learn about this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment