In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

He Giveth More Grace

I've heard it a thousand times, but just recently I've been learning so much more that our strength is renewed when we rest in God and trust Him for who He is and what we need. It hasn't been as much of a mentally exhausting week as last week, but there have been frustrations... some so large that I just sat there helplessly and cried. I was suddenly so homesick that I wanted to get up and drive the three and half hours to my hometown.. a town that offers familiarity and comfort, and places and faces that cause me to reminisce about days when I didn't have frustrations that were so harsh. But then I realized that as painful as it is, I can't do that. Yes, I can go visit, but just getting up on a whim and leaving is irresponsible. So what did I do? After being sick for two days, I threw myself into my work and let my passion for these students and their pain, help heal mine. And did it ever.

Today I was compiling answers from a suicide and depression questionnaire that we asked our students to fill out. Some didn't take it seriously, which was expected, but others took it very seriously. So seriously, that it felt like my heart stopped when I read a few responses to some of the answers. These students are hurting so bad, and we don't even realize it. The night we asked them to fill out the questionnaires, we had many students whose families are regular attendees and even members of the church. I was shocked at the answers these students wrote, and wonder if their parents have the slightest clue what their students are going through, and what they are thinking. Our staff had a suicide prevention training session last Wednesday, and I am thankful for that. Because of some of the things we went over during the session, I understand how serious these students actually are in their responses. The reality is, they will talk, but only if we ask them. Well, they talked, because we asked them, and now we're trying to help them. Pray for these students. We didn't have them put their names on the questionnaires, so its a guessing game, but the topic for this Sunday is the same as was on the questionnaire. I hope it helps, and I hope we can help any student that needs us.

I didn't realize throwing myself into my work would cause me to stumble upon such a great realization, but the fact is that today while I was sifting through questionnaires, I realized that God was giving me more strength because I was asking Him to help me through it all. How awesome is it that our God is a God who can do that? Can I get an amen?! Throughout the past few weeks, this song has been almost continually running through my head and both gently and sweetly reminds me of His grace.. because He does give more grace in all situations.. even when we don't see it.


    He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,

    He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;

    To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,

    To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

    His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,

    His power no boundary known unto men;

    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus

    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

    When we have exhausted our store of endurance,

    When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,

    When we reach the end of our hoarded resources

    Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

    His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,

    His power no boundary known unto men;

    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus

    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

    Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,

    Our God ever yearns His resources to share;

    Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;

    The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

    His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,

    His power no boundary known unto men;

    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus

    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

    Have a blessed night

    No comments:

    Post a Comment