In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Refreshed

Well, I'm back, with more recaps and a few stories.

Our anniversary went well, but with unexpected surprises. It started with cinnamon rolls, how sweet (yes, pun intended). Caleb had to work so I figured I'd do something special for dinner... I splurged and bought some NY Strip steak! Well, when Caleb got home I already had the potatoes started, and had a mini panic attack when the grill wouldn't start for the steaks :( so they went on the stove. I was already bummed about the steak, so when the milk jug tipped too far and much more milk than needed was added to the mashed potatoes I had to take a deep breath. I know it wasn't a huge deal, but I really wanted to make dinner special. Luckily, they were still good... just a bit creamy.. haha.

Anyway, what I found most amusing about the day was what happened when we went out after dinner. We decided to walk the breakwall to the lighthouse. As we were just getting to where the sand and water met a couple was trying to take their own picture. You know, the "I'll hold it out in front of me and hopefully it'll turn out" way. So I offered to take it for them. Caleb asked where they were from and we started back on our way as we talked. Peter and Dolores are from a college town downstate, right next to another college town. They were on vacation here until they headed further upstate later this week for the other half of their vacation. I guess they have friends who know the area, so they decided to check out town. They kept commenting on how beautiful it is here, and how its so laid back and a friendly community. I'm originally from the same side of the state as Dolores is, so we were talking about that a little bit. It turns out, her mom works in my hometown. Small town USA? Yes. I keep running into more and more people around here who are either from my hometown, have been there, or know of it. It's neat to make those connections. So, we walked to the lighthouse and back with them, and parted ways.

Our conversation with Dolores and Peter made me rethink my view of tourists. Yes, it seems that many of them leave a large amount of their common sense at home, but, they're here for the same reason I am: because their is a larger picture for their life, that being here is obviously part of. And it's always so nice to talk to them. I love hearing where they're from, what they think of this town, and just them in general. More and more I find myself having a genuine love for these people - and the people of this town - regardless if I know them. The only explanation is that its a Jesus love :) I keep trying to remind myself that when someone walks out into the middle of the street in front of me, or opens their car door when I'm driving by just two feet away. Some things just really drive me nuts from time to time, but I can't shake the love for them, nor do I want to. And, to be honest, I wouldn't want to not have tourists here.

My next story is from today. So you'll understand what I'm about to write, here's a little background: we got married young, bought a house, fixed it up, and are now enjoying the wonderful neighborhood that its in. My father-in-law helps with many of the projects at our house, and is currently building our retaining wall. So, as I was walking our dog today, one of the neighbors came out of his garage and started walking towards me. He asked what kind of dog Honey is, and then if I lived in the neighborhood. Here's how the rest of the conversation went:

Me: "Yes, we live in the big red house before the curve."
Him: "Oh, ok, I think I talked to your dad earlier today."
Me: "Oh, you must mean my father-in-law."
Him: "*pauses, gets funny expression* Father-in-law?! I thought you were in high school!"
Me: "*laughs* No, I'm not"
Him: "Oh, well just say thank you then, because you look young."
Me: "Well thank you. You probably see my husband driving through here quite a bit; he's the truck with the trailer."
Him: "Ok, so you live with his parents?"
Me: "No... that's our house"
Him: "What?! You mean to tell me that you two young people OWN that great big house?!"
Me: "Yes, we do. It was in pretty bad shape, so we got a really good deal on it."
Him: "Wow, thats great. That's like this house right back here...."

And on the conversation went. I had to laugh though; first he thought I was in high school, then he didn't even consider that the house was ours. It makes me feel even more fortunate to have been able to buy a house and fix it up only months after being married. God has been so good to us!

My last thing for this long post is that I think we've found something else to add to our agenda. On Tuesdays, a young adult group Bible study was started two summers ago. Neither of us were able to go the first summer or even last summer, but we decided to try it out tonight. The group was maybe 15-20 people. It meets at the beach and for the first little while everyone just hangs out; they play volleyball, walk to the water, play football, etc. Then we dig into the Word, and this summer the interim youth pastor is leading it. The focus comes from John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full [abundantly],"and each week the teaching/discussion will be on the fruit of the Spirit (from Galatians 5), and how the thief tries to steal our "fruit."Something else that was also mentioned was how its not referred to as "fruits," but as "fruit." So, it seems that they're one package. What are your thoughts? I know that as Christians, we strive to be more Christ-like and that growth is a process, but I feel like I'm not the same place in each fruit (love, joy, peace, patience,..etc.). Thinking that, it makes me wonder how they can come as "one package" because of where I am, and I've never heard it referred to like that before. Thoughts? Comments? Please share! Anyway, I think we've found something to do on Tuesday nights, and I'm pleased. Its nice to have fellowship with other young people on our time, and not just at church on Sundays. It's just, refreshing, I guess you could say.

Well, I'm off. Have a good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment