In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Delight Yourself In The Lord

As I sit outside on my doorstep this morning, I hear the birds, watch my dog chase the squirrels, and enjoy the fresh air. I watched an ant crawl as it traveled to his destination, and I watched a large Daddy Long Leg crawl into one of the flowerbeds. God's creation never ceases to amaze me. I mean, how often do we actually just sit and enjoy it? Most of us find it hard to do that. We have so many things going on in our busy lives; we have to be here at this time, there at that time, then we do this, then that... and on and on it goes. We say; "I'll get to the park later," or; "I'll spend time with God later," and many times we get caught up in something else and push God to the side. We neglect our very Creator.

To top it off, even though we have many people in our lives, we do many things, and have full lives; we often feel so empty. I have. It seems like everything we do is meaningless because when we sit down at night, or even in a room full of people, we feel alone. We ask how that can be. When we feel like that, I've heard many suggestions. Asking yourself questions like, "what are my priorities?" and, "what is my life full of, and what does it need to be full of?" can put things into perspective a little bit more. Last night at the Bible study we talked about patience. Even though it doesn't seem like it ties in, the verse that stuck out the most to me was Psalm 37:4a "Delight yourself in the Lord.." It made me think about the emptiness we sometimes feel. If we "delight [ourselves] in the Lord" would we feel so empty? I don't think so. But what does that really mean? Think about how we commonly use the word delight; when we particularly like something, when we're overjoyed, etc. Do we particularly like God? Do we love Him? Does that love overflow into wanting to serve Him, to keep His laws/commandments? Do we let Him consume us and our everyday lives, and use them for HIS glory? We should. And when we do that, we get a feeling of fullness. We're being used to our extent, but for a greater purpose. And the reward? Seeing God's sovereign work through us, knowing that we can't do it alone, and that we're not alone. We can do this even if we are busy and have to be here and there, and everywhere for that matter. If we do it for Him, we have a much greater purpose. "Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you."

Delight yourself in the Lord, and say goodbye to the emptiness.

Here's a song that popped into my head as I was writing. It talks about doing everything for God's glory.


3 comments:

  1. Great post, Shawna! It's good to have a reminder that we need to re-focus almost daily because it is so easy to get lost in ourselves.
    I enjoyed the song. It helps explain that it doesn't need to be as hard and complicated as some 'deliverers of the message' make it seem. One needn't be all preachy and stern. Just.... 'be....and let GOD work'.
    Gives a person a lot to think about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, and I agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats very wonderful I actually have detected a replacement app what is spotify premium apk
    this app is nice and that i have started viewing it.Thanks for the assistance and suggesting the matter i'll travel with it.Keep business and writing new article.

    ReplyDelete