In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Friday, December 30, 2011

Recap - 2011

Hellooo blogworld! Life has been crazy lately, hence me not writing. Well, this morning I have time, only because of my wonderful husband. Listen to what he had up his sleeve: this weekend is the family Christmas on my mom's side, so we had planned on coming to this side of the state for the weekend. A few days ago, Caleb told me he had a proposition. Naturally I asked what it was, and he said that if he got a certain amount done on the house, we could leave a day early, and he would have a surprise. Needless to say he got the stuff done at the house that he wanted to, and yesterday we left town around 1:30. What was my surprise? Two days of shopping at the Birch Run Outlet Mall, and an overnight stay at the hotel on the complex. So, right now, I'm sitting on a king size bed, and sipping hot tea in comfy clothes writing to you all, and Caleb is reading a book in the jacuzi tub in our room. Not going to lie, I feel like a princess =) We shopped last night, so after we get ready and check out of this hotel, we've got more shopping to do and then we will head out to see my family. This weekend is off to a great start!

Overall, we've been crazy busy. There's work on the house to do, we had to move out of the other house, stuff at church, work, Christmas activities, etc. Last week we took the youth group shopping, the Tweens swimming, and this week, we were going to take the youth group ice skating, but due to the power outage scheduled (that we were never told about.. haha) that fell through. Instead, we had everyone come to the church for dodgeball tournaments, playing on the wii, games, and snacks, and the afternoon turned out great. They say one of the most important things in ministry is the ability to be flexible, and over the past few months I've been learning more and more about that truth. I had never thought about the application of it before, but someone in our staff meeting the other day mentioned that us being flexible allows God to do what HE needs to do in us and our students, regardless if that is what we had planned. Besides, who are we to stand in His way..?

Our first Christmas together was great. It was busy, but we're used to the business of life, so that part didn't surprise us. Christmas eve day was spent at my parents house for me, as my brother from Missouri was here. It was fun for all five of us to be together again. Later that night, my family and Caleb's family all attended the Christmas eve service at our church, which was a good time. Then Caleb and I went to his parents to open gifts and didn't get home until after midnight. We opened our gifts to each other, and turned in about 2:30am. Christmas morning came early, and we headed to my parents to open gifts at 7am. After that, we were at church by 9:30am, and ate dinner at Caleb's parents' at 1pm. Then to my grandpa's for Christmas dinner at 3:30pm. We got home around 8pm and were spent.

So, sitting here in this hotel room, with the whole weekend ahead of me, I'm thankful for the opportunities to do everything I have been able to do. See my family, spend time with my husband, and in Caleb's words; "have some R&R" (which, I figured out means rest and relaxation). It has been a busy year, but a good year, and I can't wait to see what God has planned for us for this year. As we finish out the year, we reflect on a few of the big things; our wedding and life started together, purchasing a house (without debt!), traveling to Seattle, our ministry involvement, getting to spend time with family... we are blessed beyond measure and very thankful. There are so many other things big and small that have happened, I don't mean to exclude them, but I just can't write the whole list here. I hope you take some time to think back about this year, what you're thankful for, and start preparing your mind for the coming year. Don't forget to count your blessings.

I hope your Christmas, New Year, and any other holiday you celebrate, is a time of blessing for you and your family. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment