In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey and Shopping.. aka Thanksgiving

Tonight is one of those nights that no matter how hard I try to clear my mind and go to sleep, I can't fall asleep for anything. My husband sound asleep next to me, and I lying there wide awake... that has become too familiar of a scenario. So here I find myself in the kitchen, in my slippers, sweater, and extra warm pants (its really cold in this house at night!), with a cup of sleepy time tea. I sure hope it works tonight.

This weekend is going to be a whirlwind for sure, so I'd like to get enough sleep tonight that it tides me over and I don't get too worn out. Tomorrow we head out across state to my hometown for a few days. While there, we will see most of both parents' sides, and my husbands grandparents on his moms side. That will be Thursday, though. Tomorrow promises me lots of laundry and packing until we pick my sister up from school and embark on our three hour drive. Friday will be interesting.. Caleb's family has always went shopping on black Friday, and due to their excitement, I went last year as well. I was across state, so I went to a different shopping town than they did, and the two experiences couldn't be more different. Where I went was as calm as could be. People weren't stealing things out of each others carts, fighting, going crazy, etc. I was in an out of most stores in under a half hour. But Caleb's experience on the other hand, was pretty... intense. He was standing in line in one store while watching a man a few lines over drink a fifth of rum. When confronted by the authorities, this man proceeded to try and fight with the cops, complete with throwing a few punches. Really? Is it really worth that much? I couldn't believe some of the stories I heard. Last year during a conversation with my older brother, I told him I was thinking about doing the black Friday shopping and he very enthusiastically asked me why and what I was thinking. He told me that people get killed, trampled, fight, etc., and I told him that I just wanted to experience the madness. He told me I was nuts and to be careful. Well, now I'm hooked. Maybe its because the town I shopped in wasn't the typical madhouse, but either way, Caleb and I will be two of the crazy people shopping early Friday morning. And, just to clarify, we'll be shopping on the other side of the state, the town that wasn't a crazy madhouse =)

Something to keep in mind while reading this though, is that the only reason we know when black Friday is, is because of the holiday that it proceeds; Thanksgiving. This year as you celebrate, think about the things you are thankful for; family, friends, a home, food, clothes, freedom, and so many of the other things we take for granted so often. Thanksgiving is too often associated with a meal where many of us gorge ourselves, and not to be thankful for the little things. So this year as you overload on turkey, potatoes, and pumpkin pie, be thankful for the other little (and big!) things you have been blessed with. I'm so excited to be able to see my family. Being thankful for them is something I have definitely done more of since I moved three hours away. All of a sudden I couldn't drive across town, or some short distance, and see them. Our time together is limited to a few short hours every few months. Let me tell you, that was an adjustment. So, this year as I prepare to see them for this holiday, I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to travel, for the opportunity to be able to spend time with them for yet another holiday, and for the opportunity to just relax in an atmosphere that brings back so many good memories.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Stay safe and warm, and have a truly blessed and thankful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment