In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Life As Newlyweds

Reading other peoples' posts makes my day, especially when they have experienced something good. I just read a post that started out as a story of "one of those kind of days.." that ended well and it made me smile. So, in light of that, I figured another entry from me was due also, especially because this one (unlike the past few) brings good news and will be cheerful =]

It has definitely been quite the two weeks. I have been frustrated, happy, sad, excited, and overwhelmed during the past fourteen days, but it has been an amazing journey. My husband and I are now getting settled into our temporary home together, he's back to work, and I'm back to work - with a second job! (Praise God for that!) All the stress I had written about before is over, and I'm slightly embarrassed by some of my actions and comments from previous posts, so I guess you could say I learned not to badmouth things. If you felt any of those comments were aimed at you - I'm genuinely sorry if you were hurt, they were out of frustration, and a heart that I realized was bitter.

That said, everything on our wedding day went so smoothly I was honestly surprised. The day before was super busy and crazy, but I somehow managed to get almost six hours of sleep, get up and showered, go to the store, and get to the church all before ten a.m. the day of our wedding! Then all us girls got ready and took some pictures before the ceremony started. Us girls hid in the library, where my eyes were glued on the clock and I was all nerves. It seemed like I looked at the clock every two minutes and time went super slow. Even talking about it now I'm getting nervous.. haha =] Anyway, I got even more nervous after the bridesmaids left to line up. I was pacing. Yes, actually pacing. When someone finally came and got me, I was shaking, and when I saw my dad my eyes welled with tears. I never used to be very emotional, but lately I have been. Needless to say, I didn't see my dad cry, because I did all the crying for him! He walked me down the aisle and gave me away. When Caleb and I stepped up by the pastor, the pastor paused and gave me a tissue and everyone laughed (including me). The service was beautiful, and went flawlessly. I'm really glad Caleb understands me, or else he might've thought I was a nutcase because I was squeezing his hands so hard.. haha. The reception was a blur, and we left town by eight p.m. We got to our secret location (Mackinaw City) before midnight and the rest of the week went wonderfully. We explored town a bit and did some shopping, we got deep tissue massages across the bridge, went for a carriage ride on the island and a trolley ride on the mainland, and even went to a lumberjack show! We also tried the famous "pasties" (pronounced "past-eez" not "paste-eez" we were told by our tour guide during the trolley ride), which are sort of like meat pies, but neither of us were impressed. There was, however, an amazing Italian place (Nonna Lisa's) that made delicious wood fired pizza and salads! =] It was a great trip, and though neither of us really wanted to come home, we were ready to come home, together.


So, what started out as a crazy two weeks has settled down a lot. Caleb is an amazing man, and I'm so lucky to have him in my life, and even more lucky that he is my husband. He goes above and beyond every day and  goes out of his way to do things for me. I only hope I can be as good to him as he is to me. Love you Caleb!

What have I been doing since we got back? Well, besides feeling like I see my husband a fraction of the time that I did before the wedding ;), Relay for Life was the weekend we got back, and while I was only there for a few hours when I could manage, Caleb was there the whole time. I worked Saturday, and then Sunday was our recovery day - which was still busy. Monday, Caleb worked, I helped at Bible School, went to the beach with some friends, and then got to visit a new mom and her three day old baby (uh-mazing!). To top some of this stuff off, Caleb started to not feel good Sunday night and mentioned a sore throat and feeling congested.. well, what do you know?.. guess who else woke up with a sore throat and the same symptoms he had this morning? Yeah, this girl. So hopefully neither of us gets really sick and we can just push through whatever is going on with our bodies. Today we both worked, and tomorrow we will do the same. Then this weekend is Gus Macker, a huge annual basketball tournament, and Fathers Day. Next week we'll be working, and then Thursday I'm taking my sister to the Big Ticket Festival to see SKILLET! (one of her, and my, favorite bands by far!) So, life will still be pretty crazy, but I've learned thats just how it goes =] I'm thankful I am able to do everything I can, and am loving each day God gives me!

2 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME, Shawna! Thanks for giving me a glimpse of your life in all the bitter-sweetness. :)
    Wow, you talking about Caleb makes me really antsy to get married, even though I know it's financially impossible right now and God is teaching us patience.
    I hope you are feeling better now!
    You will love Skillet in concert, they were in Kentucky at the big concert fest that I went to, and apparently (because I attended a different band concert that I had not seen before) the Skillet concert was amazing with all the stage maneuvers and lights and jazzical stuff.
    Keep shining on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good at teaching patience, huh?! =] It'll happen in HIS time, we just have to remember that.
    I did love Skillet in concert, they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete