In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fun and Uncertainty

Its just one of those mornings... the snooze button was hit three times, a warm shower only made me more tired, I packed a quick lazy lunch, and when I stopped at Wesco on my way to work, they had breakfast made and waiting for me ;) Normally I don't eat donuts, but today I didn't have time to eat at home. Anyway, I'm just tired, and thoughtful. And I have a lot to share =]

Saturaday I had the day off work. I was super excited, and Caleb and I had planned to do something. By the end of the week, we'd decided on Michigan's Adventure, and then it got changed to hanging out with his sister. But Saturday morning it rained, so we ended up at a little harbor cafe at about 11:30. By a little after noon, we realized a couple from church were sitting a few tables from us, so we smiled and waved, and finished up. Upon the waitress telling us our check had been taken care of, we went over to talk for a bit and say thank you ;) That was a blessing. They are so sweet, and I'm thankful to know them - they brigthen my day, everytime I see them. They also told us about a house by them thats for sale. Anyway, after brunch, we went home to decide what to do, and ended up deciding on going shopping. So we got loaded up and headed for Muskegon. We ended up saving more than we spent (woohoo sales!!!) at the mall, and used it to buy a window air conditioner we'd been looking for for about a month. We were excited about that =]  (our house is now a comfy 74 degrees, instead of 85!) After that (and a stop at Sam's Club) we decided to call it a day, and headed home to gear up for Sunday's usual business.

Sunday started out the same as all Sundays: busy! Get up, get ready, go! Caleb left about 7:30, and by the time I was ready and had gathered up supplies to teach PreSchool, when I left at 9, I was already late.. haha. That usually doesn't happen, but since I planned on stopping at RiteAid for a birthday card, I wanted to allow myself a little bit more time. Oh well =] Last week, the assistant pastors wife, Jenn, had invited me to start coming to an adult Sunday School class. I had been attending a college/career class, and I liked it alright, it just didn't seem like the right fit, so I wasn't very motivated to go. So, when Jenn had asked me about her class, I had considered, and planned on going Sunday. However, I didn't want to walk in late, so I decided to wait until next week. Well, I didn't exactly get that option, because when I walked into church looking for Caleb, she was in the hall looking for me =] So I succumbed, and went with her. (One of 'my things' that makes me cringe is walking into unfamiliar places late, so this was uncomfortable, but I figured I'd do it. Whats one more thing out of my comfort zone, right?.. haha). It was good... I really liked it, and am sure I will frequent that class. After that, I had to scoot across the hall to teach PreSchool. I started out with three kids, and was then informed that the Kindergarten teacher for Jr. Church hadn't showed up, so I put a sign on the door telling parents where the class was, and had the kids come over to my room. By the time the service started, I had thirteen rowdy kids and a rather short lesson to teach on a long communion Sunday. But, I was prepared. The lesson was about helping others and how Jesus had washed the disciples feet. We started out by saying one thing we could do to help someone else, and then I explained the lesson, telling the story. In front of me sat the pail of water, a doll, and a dish towel. When I got to the part where Jesus washed the disciples' feet, I washed the dolls feet, and then let each child that wanted to wash them also. I had planned on making pictures saying 'I can help others' and having each child trace their bare feet, but by that time they were still pretty rowdy, so I popped in a movie about helping others (it went right along with my lesson! and friendship). After church, we had a quick lunch and then went to tube the river with a group of friends. There wasn't much of a current, and our friends tube deflated, so Caleb let her use his and he swam/pulled us down the river =] I ended up sunburned and tired, but it was good to do something with friends so I wasn't complaining. By 4:30 we were settled into a youth leaders meeting and getting geared up for Jr. High youth group, and then Sr. High youth group. At 5 the craziness began with "Crud Wars" for Jr. High. This is where the sprinkler system is turned on, and you run through it until you're soaked. Then its literally war with each other, trying to get everyone else covered in courses of gross stuff. First, big tubs of flour are set out, then soggy oats, then shaving cream, and then soggy dog food. Its basically every man for himself as you run around throwing everything on the person nearest to you, and then go get more and repeat. It was really fun though.. and we all ended up soaking wet covered in a flour/oat/shaving cream/dog food mixture. A couple of the Jr. Highers actually threw up... haha what a great welcome to youth group ;) After we were done, we had to clean up, using the sprinklers and a hose. Let me tell you, the sprinklers are freezing and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get all of the dog food out of my hair, and the flour/oats out of my ear. It was fun though, and the kids really had a good time. Sr. High was a bit more mellow, as they started the building of their cardboard boats to race on the 21st in Lake Michigan. Some of the students had really great ideas, and I'm eager to see how their boats will turn out. After youth group, sixteen leaders went to Applebee's for some late night fellowship and food. We got to pass along a little blessing of paying for someone else's meal, and had the chance to brighten the day of two guys who'd had a rough week. Seeing their faces when the waitress told them their meals were taken care of was priceless =] and we were glad to pass along the favor. All in all, it was a great day. Maybe thats why yesterday and today are 'blah days' =]

Last week my class also started, which is bittersweet. It was nice to see what it would be like, but I really dislike it already. Its 20 credits, all online. Medical Transcription Editing just doesn't interest me, but I was told it would be a good 'mom job' when that time comes. Buuut, I really don't want to do it. I genuinely have no desire, no motivation, no interest in it at all. What I am interested in is children. I love them. And I love ministry. I've been scouring the websites of all the colleges within a few hour radius looking for classes, majors, anything to do with youth/childrens ministries that doesn't entail pastoral training, but I haven't come up with much so far. Its a waiting game, I know, and a matter of trusting God and what He has in store for me, but so much uncertainty makes me uneasy. Should I drop my class for now? Should I look elsewhere for schooling? What about a house, moving, etc? Yeah. Questions I have to pray about. To top it off Caleb asked me what I thought about moving. Just to breach the question, nothing more. He just wanted to see what I thought about it, but it really got me thinking. I was shocked that he's open to the idea; he's established here. He has multiple jobs here, family, friends, his whole life is here... I was just shocked. If God wanted us to move, and provided the opportunity, I'm sure we would take it. We've talked about ministry before, and are both open to it, but I never realized how easy it would be to just move at this point. Definitely a  crazy thought. [For any family that is reading this; don't worry! We're not planning on going anywhere right now! We would tell you first, and it wouldn't be a rash decision!]

So, while we wait and see where God wants us, these are some of the things going through our heads, and some of the things we are involved in: school, work, moving, ministry, job opportunities, house searching. We face so much uncertainty right now, that the only thing I can tell you we are certain about is that we are right where God wants us for the time being. Who knows what will happen next, but I'm sure I'll post about it when that happens =]

No comments:

Post a Comment