In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ministry, But Where?

Seventh grade marked a turning point for me.. why? Because seventh graders were finally able to help at VBS. This event didn't seem like it would make a big difference in my life then, but looking back now, it makes all the difference.

After working with the preschoolers that year for VBS, I proceeded to work with the first and second graders for five years, and then the two and three year olds for one. Starting my junior year, I helped with fours and fives Sunday School. Somewhere inbetween, there developed a driving force, something that kept me coming back to work with children time and time again. I had learned to love children, love working with them, and learned to love in general. I'm so thankful that I helped with the preschoolers that year, because I had no idea the influence it would make on my life!

So, where did I end up? I ended up at college for Early Childhood Education, and at a church teaching first grade Sunday School. Well, I changed my major, and changed churches, and wasn't sure where to go after that. I was at a new church, and had no direction for my education. So, I threw myself at God asking what He wanted me to do. I also threw myself into ministry opportunities at my new church. I got involved with the Jr. and Sr. High Youth Groups, the Tween ministry (4th-6th grade), started teaching PreSchool Sunday School once a month, and had babysitting opportunities for families in the church and a Bible Study.
I didn't get an answer from God right away, but after searching for God's heart for months, I just recently came to a realization that I had been told many many times, it just hadn't ever clicked:
God wanted me to do what made me happy, but to do it for Him. And to LOVE people. Jesus came to love people, and I intend to do the same.

Easy enough? I thought so at first, but then a few questions floating around in the back of my mind caught my attention. I realized that I had thrown myself into ministry so much, and become so completely involved in it, that I had almost isolated myself from friends outside the church, and my family. Family had always been important to me, and church had been my 'safe place' and I had always been super invovled at church in my hometown. So, becoming invovled in church again only seemed natural. But this time it was different, I didn't live with my parents, so there was even less contact with them. And it also gave me another thought: "if God is calling me to be in ministry, and to love people, wouldn't my family be the best and first place I ought to start?" This had always been in the back of my mind, because growing up, I wasn't the best kid. I was rude and nasty at home, and then a sweet little girl at church. I went with my great-grandma, so no one really knew, and there were no confrontations about being two-faced. But God had convicted me of truly living my life for Him my junior year... so I had at least put thought into it. My junior and senior years were pretty rough, and I did my best, but often failed to live a life that would please God. College was like a fresh start for me, and I flourished in my relationship with Him. But I realized lately that I also need to work on my relationship with my family. Its not bad, but I want it to keep getting better and better!

To say the least, lately I've been trying to see my family as much as I can, and to show love as much as I can. Let me tell you, its not the easiest thing in the world, at all, but I want them to know God's love like I've experienced it, and I figure this is the best place to start: right where I am.

I'll leave you with these few thoughts: How is your relationship with God? What kind of ministry is He calling you to be involved in? Are you listening? Can your ministry involvement be as close as your family, friends, workplace or home? Please, please, think these things through.. I did, and I was truly blessed. And I want nothing less for you.

2 comments:

  1. You are so wise for your age. Trust me, I wasn't where you are at your age, maybe I still am not. Better get it together if I am going to be a pastor's wife ;) You are going to be a terrific wife & a great encouragement to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much =] I wouldn't be where I'm at right now if God hadn't gotten ahold of me, though! You have always been such an encouragement for me! I miss you <3 I'm sure you are and will continue to be a wonderful wife, because God lives inside you!

    ReplyDelete