In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Sunday, November 21, 2010

School

So here I sit at Caleb's house waiting. I'm supposed to be doing my paper for sociology but I have no motivation to do so, and I really don't feel like it. Caleb is at church getting all the Christmas decorations out with his uncle, so people can decorate today, and an hour and half ago I was told it would take them less than an hour =) ha.. soo I'm taking that 'hour' and vegging, no big deal.

Procrastinating on my paper got me thinking... what is college really worth, anyway? You hear about all these kids who go away to college and  take out super big loans to get some funny uppety degree, and then when they graduate.. bam! no job... and yet they're in debt up to their eyeballs. I don't get it. But you know what I don't get even more? Why people are pushing me to do the same. I refuse to go to some big expensive university to study for some degree that won't even get me a job, and will leave me thousands and thousands of dollars in debt. It just doesn't make sense to me. Yes, some people get jobs when they graduate, but with the economy the way it is right now, what are the chances... ?

Anymore, I see a few better and more sensible solutions. 1, go to a community college for two year  readiness/associate degree or certificate. 2, go to a community college for an associate degree then transfer to get a bachelors degree. and 3, take advantage of a high school 'vocational' programs. It also bothers me to know that people get looked down on because they went to a community college. The degrees are the same... so why does it matter? The difference: one was approximately twenty thousand dollars cheaper than the other. That seems more sensible to me... but whatever I guess.. some people just like to spend money..?

These are just my thoughts on what I see happening today.. you can or don't have to take them seriously.. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment