In me, oh Lord, can You create: a pure heart, cause I'm afraid: that I just might run back to the things I hate


Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ringing In The New Year!

Happy New Year from West Michigan!
Last night we went downtown to share in all the festivities. We didn't get there till 11pm (purposely) and started exploring. Shops had opened back up, there was a dj, there was a tent for hot cocoa and cider, and of course, the beer tent (luckily alcohol was only allowed in a certain area). It was fun to walk around and see so many people, and a little girl from AWANA popped up and said hi to us out of the crowd. We saw our neighbors, people from church, and a few friends from our Bible study. We didn't go far, just ducked in and out of shops for a while until about ten till. So we stood around and watched the ball drop and then the fireworks. By then we were exhausted so we just headed home the back way. It was the first time either of us had been to the ball drop here, and I don't think it'll be the last :) It was pretty neat.

As I'm sure you know, New Years Eve and day are a time when countless resolutions are made. I stopped doing resolutions years ago and started setting goals instead. Why? Because resolutions are forgotten, not kept, etc., and then we feel bad because we 'resolved' to do something and didn't... however, we've been trained to view goals as ongoing, so even when we miss out for a while we can pick up right where we were and keep going. So, it helps me to view them as goals.. because I know how my brain works :) haha. Anyway, here are just a few goals for this new year:

-Pick a word for the year to focus, learn and grow on: love.
-Do more devotions alone and as a couple.
-Make a 'menu' type list of groceries, and go shopping only once a week, with as many coupons as I can use! Normally I go for 'this or that' about three times a week.. and then I pick up something else, and.. I don't really need them, so I think that's where a lot of our money goes. I'm hoping to both save more money and learn to be even more frugal this year.
-Save receipts.

I try to not make a lot of goals, because then I feel far fetched, but I definitely like making a few. It never hurts to improve and try new things. Did you make any goals or resolutions this year? If so, please comment below and share, I'd love to hear them!

Have a blessed New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment